GDMS port to android

moovida
Hi developers, I haven't been very successfull in attracting answers to my questions in the past, but this subject might interest :)

I have successfully ported the GDMS and GRAP code to work inside an android project.
Well, successfull is definitely a stretch, but well, I have been able to read a shapefile on an android OS, which was my aim.

What I did (more or less), starting from yesterdays svn trunk:
GDMS part:
- remove the jaxb part (sadly I could not get it working, since there are some compatibilities problems with dalvik, I had no time to try to recompile jaxb)
- heavily cannibalize the code to have it working even without jaxb :(
- remove postgres and hsqldb (just because right now I wanted to easy up the package, there should be no problems with those)

Today I was finally able to test a shapefile. Still need to test for example dxf, should be funny though.

GRAP part:
- heavily cannibalize the code to remove all the ImageJ references and limit everything to worldfile support (android will read png and jpg)
- substituting all images with android drawables

I didn't test a thing on this part, so it might as well not work at all yet.

Also the prj support is currently not working.

My future aim is to test:
- prj work
- georaster work with image tiles (shapefile mosaic would be better)

For this to make really sense I would need a rendering pipeline to modify to work on android with the gdms datasets.

So my question is if someone of the orbisgis is interested enough in this port to help me with answers and code reviews in short therm. I need help from someone experienced in the code to limit my code devastation moves that occurr when pushing to make it fit in android. I could not find enough documentation and code examples about the gdms and grap.

If someone has time and love to put in the project I could put the code on a public repo and we could create a simple orbisgis mapviewer library to be used in android projects.

Best regards,
Andrea

Re: GDMS port to android

Alexis.G
hi Andrea !

Le 20/01/2012 12:13, moovida [via OrbisGIS] a écrit :
> Hi developers, I haven't been very successfull in attracting answers
> to my questions in the past, but this subject might interest :)

I'm really sorry about that. It's still difficult for me to speak about
mobile dev... never did it. But I hope it will come. Be seure that we
follow what you are doing with the greatest interest.

About your last question, we saw it, discussed about it... I'll make
some tests this afternoon, and will try to give you some hints. If I
find some.

> I have successfully ported the GDMS and GRAP code to work inside an
> android project.
> Well, successfull is definitely a stretch, but well, I have been able
> to read a shapefile on an android OS, which was my aim.

I think we effectivelly can describe this as a "success" :-)

> What I did (more or less), starting from yesterdays svn trunk:
> GDMS part:
> - remove the jaxb part (sadly I could not get it working, since there
> are some compatibilities problems with dalvik, I had no time to try to
> recompile jaxb)
> - heavily cannibalize the code to have it working even without jaxb :(

A few monthes ago, I still believed JAXB was stable and rock solid. I'm
not convinced anymore, i've found really weird bugs in it...

> - remove postgres and hsqldb (just because right now I wanted to easy
> up the package, there should be no problems with those)
>
> Today I was finally able to test a shapefile. Still need to test for
> example dxf, should be funny though.
>
> GRAP part:
> - heavily cannibalize the code to remove all the ImageJ references and
> limit everything to worldfile support (android will read png and jpg)
> - substituting all images with android drawables

Wow. Well done... as GRAP is entirely designed upon ImageJ, I guess it
has not been a simple part...

> I didn't test a thing on this part, so it might as well not work at
> all yet.
>
> Also the prj support is currently not working.
>
> My future aim is to test:
> - prj work
> - georaster work with image tiles (shapefile mosaic would be better)
>
> For this to make really sense I would need a rendering pipeline to
> modify to work on android with the gdms datasets.
>
> So my question is if someone of the orbisgis is interested enough in
> this port to help me with answers and code reviews in short therm. I
> need help from someone experienced in the code to limit my code
> devastation moves that occurr when pushing to make it fit in android.
> I could not find enough documentation and code examples about the gdms
> and grap.

Documentation is one of our biggest problems. We're working on it.

I think I can find some time to help you... Maybe Antoine will find some
too... I've never worked on android until now, though. But hey, it's an
interesting challenge. And a good reason to buy a smartphone :-p I'm not
the one with the greatest GDMS knowledge, but hey, if I can help... ;-)

> If someone has time and love to put in the project I could put the
> code on a public repo and we could create a simple orbisgis mapviewer
> library to be used in android projects.

Ok. If you can push what you've made in a githup repository. As github
provides tools for code review and a DVCS access through git, I think it
is a good solution.  I log into github using the nickname agueganno .

Note that if you prefer to use another tool for this task, you can.
After all, you're the initiator of the project ;-)

Best wishes,

Alexis.

Re: GDMS port to android

moovida
[...]
> I'm really sorry about that. It's still difficult for me to speak about
> mobile dev... never did it. But I hope it will come. Be seure that we
> follow what you are doing with the greatest interest.

Don't be sorry, I know that mailinglists can be quite time consuming
and wanted to make a small joke. I am glad that it worked though :)

> About your last question, we saw it, discussed about it... I'll make
> some tests this afternoon, and will try to give you some hints. If I
> find some.

Thanks, I'll answer in the other mail.

[...]
>> - heavily cannibalize the code to have it working even without jaxb :(
>
> A few monthes ago, I still believed JAXB was stable and rock solid. I'm
> not convinced anymore, i've found really weird bugs in it...

Right now, if I want to support just shp, dxf and images, I should be
able to work without, right? What is jaxb exactly used for?

[...]
>> GRAP part:
>> - heavily cannibalize the code to remove all the ImageJ references and
>> limit everything to worldfile support (android will read png and jpg)
>> - substituting all images with android drawables
>
> Wow. Well done... as GRAP is entirely designed upon ImageJ, I guess it
> has not been a simple part...

Well, "heavily cannibalized" means that I removed all the processing
part, since rasters right now are seen only as images to show. I
really removed quite some code from there. I had a dependency from
gdms into grap, which I found a bit strange. Else I would have sticked
with shapes first :)

[...]
>> So my question is if someone of the orbisgis is interested enough in
>> this port to help me with answers and code reviews in short therm. I
>> need help from someone experienced in the code to limit my code
>> devastation moves that occurr when pushing to make it fit in android.
>> I could not find enough documentation and code examples about the gdms
>> and grap.
>
> Documentation is one of our biggest problems. We're working on it.

Yeah, I know, it always is a big problem... :(

> I think I can find some time to help you... Maybe Antoine will find some
> too... I've never worked on android until now, though. But hey, it's an
> interesting challenge. And a good reason to buy a smartphone :-p I'm not
> the one with the greatest GDMS knowledge, but hey, if I can help... ;-)

Ok, I will try to split my questions and problems into several emails
and flood the list :) If you find time to have a look at those, it
would incredibly help. Thanks.

>> If someone has time and love to put in the project I could put the
>> code on a public repo and we could create a simple orbisgis mapviewer
>> library to be used in android projects.
>
> Ok. If you can push what you've made in a githup repository. As github
> provides tools for code review and a DVCS access through git, I think it
> is a good solution.  I log into github using the nickname agueganno .
>
> Note that if you prefer to use another tool for this task, you can.
> After all, you're the initiator of the project ;-)

Well, I actually prefer mercurial so I would tend towards google code
or bitbucket. Would that be ok to you?
I will start right now and then add everyone that wants to to the game.

Thanks,
Andrea

> Best wishes,
>
> Alexis.

> NAML

Re: GDMS port to android

Alexis.G
Le 20/01/2012 14:57, moovida [via OrbisGIS] a écrit :
> [...]
> >> - heavily cannibalize the code to have it working even without jaxb :(
> >
> > A few monthes ago, I still believed JAXB was stable and rock solid. I'm
> > not convinced anymore, i've found really weird bugs in it...
>
> Right now, if I want to support just shp, dxf and images, I should be
> able to work without, right? What is jaxb exactly used for?

IIRC, it's used to serialize the content of the SourceManager.

> [...]
> I really removed quite some code from there. I had a dependency from
> gdms into grap, which I found a bit strange. Else I would have sticked
> with shapes first :)

Indeed, there is a dependency, and it is quite logical. GDMS is the
library we've designed to handle simply any supported datasource,
whatever its format could be. We try to support geographic files, and
that includes rasters. Consequently, we have a dependency to a library
that can be used to handle raster data. And it is GRAP.

> [...]
> > I think I can find some time to help you... Maybe Antoine will find
> some
> > too... I've never worked on android until now, though. But hey, it's an
> > interesting challenge. And a good reason to buy a smartphone :-p I'm
> not
> > the one with the greatest GDMS knowledge, but hey, if I can help... ;-)
>
> Ok, I will try to split my questions and problems into several emails
> and flood the list :) If you find time to have a look at those, it
> would incredibly help. Thanks.
the mailing list is here for that, after all :-p

> [...]
> >
> > Ok. If you can push what you've made in a githup repository. As github
> > provides tools for code review and a DVCS access through git, I
> think it
> > is a good solution.  I log into github using the nickname agueganno .
> >
> > Note that if you prefer to use another tool for this task, you can.
> > After all, you're the initiator of the project ;-)
>
> Well, I actually prefer mercurial so I would tend towards google code
> or bitbucket. Would that be ok to you?
> I will start right now and then add everyone that wants to to the game.

I've used HG some times ago, so I suppose I can use it again. With some
good documentation... For basic operations, it's not so different from
git. I think I have a bitbucket account linked to one of my email
addresses...

Another solution would be to give you an access to our SVN repository.
There, you would be able to commit your work directly in our
infrastructure. And with this SVN access, you would gain a trac access
too. That mean you'll be able to open and comment tickets... But as I
said earlier, the decision is up to you.

Just to be sure : which version of GDMS are you using ?

Best wishes,

Alexis.

Re: GDMS port to android

moovida
>> [...]
>> I really removed quite some code from there. I had a dependency from
>> gdms into grap, which I found a bit strange. Else I would have sticked
>> with shapes first :)
>>
> Indeed, there is a dependency, and it is quite logical. GDMS is the
> library we've designed to handle simply any supported datasource,
> whatever its format could be. We try to support geographic files, and
> that includes rasters. Consequently, we have a dependency to a library
> that can be used to handle raster data. And it is GRAP.

Nice, that will be one of my first questions. How to handle gdms
formats, I feel it is one thing I might want to use for images and
data :) Questions soon :)

>> [...]
> Another solution would be to give you an access to our SVN repository.
> There, you would be able to commit your work directly in our
> infrastructure. And with this SVN access, you would gain a trac access
> too. That mean you'll be able to open and comment tickets... But as I
> said earlier, the decision is up to you.

Well, I am thinking that this might be the best move?
As I said, I am trying to create a data renderer for the geopaparazzi
project, but would be glad to see it working as a library.
If it is ok for you guys, i am willing to place the code in the orbisgis svn.

> Just to be sure : which version of GDMS are you using ?

The trunk checkout from 2 days ago.

All the best,
Andrea

> Best wishes,
>
> Alexis.

> NAML

Re: GDMS port to android

ebocher
Administrator
Dear Andrea,

I lead the OrbisGIS project, supported by the IRSTV institute. We
would be very glad if you use OrbisGIS libraries (GDMS and other
stuff).
It's always good to have new use cases and requirements.

Our engineers will do their best to help.

Have fun with OrbisGIS

Erwan

--
Institut de recherche en sciences et techniques de la ville
École Centrale de Nantes
Tél : 02 40 37 68 67
http://www.irstv.fr/

Re: GDMS port to android

moovida
Dear Erwan,
guess I know you from some Osgeo lists :)

ebocher wrote
I lead the OrbisGIS project, supported by the IRSTV institute. We
would be very glad if you use OrbisGIS libraries (GDMS and other
stuff).
It's always good to have new use cases and requirements.

Our engineers will do their best to help.

Have fun with OrbisGIS
thanks. I just checked where you are placed and you are lucky, it is too far away to come and visit you guys for a couple of days.
Would have been a nice boost if I could have come as visiting researcher. :)

Thanks for the support,
Andrea